Your life really is up to you. Often it doesn't feel that way, but when it comes right down to brass tacks, you have the power to choose - how you'll think, what you'll feel, if you'll react, when you'll participate.
The following are things to keep in mind to empower yourself to take back the control of your life, and create the mind-bending amazingness that you've always dreamed of.
1. Pay attention to your body's signals. It knows when something isn't right.
2. Whatever is offered, ask yourself, "Does this fit for me?" If it's not a fit, sandpapering yourself or the other won't make it a good fit. It just skins you up.
3. What fit yesterday may not fit today, then may fit again tomorrow, and that's OK.
4. Listen to other people's perception. Learn from it and don't personalize it.
5. Actively seek new ways of thinking, and your brain will keep sparking all life long.
6. Create a hierarchy of importance - sometimes it'll be you, sometimes the other person.
7. Know the difference between "selfishness" and "self-care." Selfishness isn't nice.
8. Be mature enough not to think you are the center of the universe.
9. Remember that you always have the choice whether to let stressors create stress.
10. Never blame yourself or others for the past. That's a waste of spirit.
11. Take responsibility for your own happiness.
12. Under-promise and over-deliver. It will surprise others and delight you.
13. Know the difference between your figure and your body. Cherish your body.
14. Ask directly and courteously for what you want. Don't expect others to read your mind.
15. You can't fix anybody but yourself. Don't even try.
16. Don't expect to find all the answers. It's more interesting to live within the questions.
17. Help spread common courtesy. Give it to yourself and others, and expect it back.
18. Always clean up your own messes. When you're wrong, apologize.
19. Carry your fair share of the load - not much less, but also not much more.
20. Learn to enjoy Hammock Mode as much as, or more than, Getting Things Accomplished.
21. Think of money as a symbol for energy and a way to get things you want and enjoy, not as a
way to keep score. You can be rich regardless of your bank account.
22. Cherish personal integrity and keep a high standard of it for yourself. Only hang out with
others who do the same.
23. Tell the truth. It not only keeps your integrity high, it greatly simplifies your life.
24. Guard yourself lovingly from anyone who thinks there is only one Right Way.
25. Keep a semi-open mind, but respect and trust your critical faculties.
26. Laugh a lot. Laugh a WHOLE lot.
27. Trust your intuition. It's usually right. Occasionally it's spectacularly wrong, but trust it
anyway. It will teach you things.
28. When your relationship smoke alarm goes off, heed it. Do not pull out the battery unless you
need to learn the lesson yet again.
29. Look for what's really there. Not what you think or hope might be there, but what's really
30. When you are praised or appreciated, simply say "Thank you" without digging your toe in the
31. Know the difference between reacting and responding. Cultivate responding.
32. Enjoy your Down Time. Selective laziness is wonderful. It recharges your batteries.
33. Aspire to hitting on all your cylinders - mentally, creatively, professionally, personally,
spiritually. You will still need periodic tune-ups and upgrades, and that's OK.
34. Recognize and appreciate others, and tell them so. It's such fun to watch people light up!
35. Whatever happens, remember there is always another way of looking at it.
Roz Van Meter